Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day!

"Freedom isn't free!"

Thank you, Veterans, for your faithful service to our country!  I appreciate each and every one of you.


My father was in the navy in WWII.  Here he is aboard the USS Franks at Pearl Harbor.  Dad is in the second row (kneeling) on the left.  His ship did a tour in the South Pacific and they were involved in quite a bit of action there.


This plaque tells a little bit about the USS Franks and the service that her crew gave during WWII.

My uncle also served during WWII, and my grandfather was in the army during the building of the Panama Canal.  My brother-in-law and my ex-husband served in Vietnam.  There were other relatives of mine that served our country, too.  A young man on my father's side of the family gave his life during WWI.  A grenade was thrown into the foxhole where he and his comrades were and he threw himself on it to save the lives of those who were with him.  I don't know his name, but I remember my parents talking about him.  I am also related to Patrick Henry who is often quoted -

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"


Well, there are just a few of the veterans that I know of in my family.  Well known names and nameless heroes - they served our country with honor and dignity.  I am honored to be related to them!
 
Blessings,
Kathy

9 comments:

  1. Your Dad never did change much! That is a cool photo. Our church honored our veterans on Sunday and again this evening. It is so wonderful to know that there are still men and women who are willing to sacrifice so much to keep our country free. A wise man once told me that he signed up and went to a foreign country to fight so that we would never have to fight those battles here on our soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have several relatives that are veterans! My grandpa served during WWII and I love hearing his stories from that time in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Kathy. I too had Uncles and My father that served during WWII and the Korean War. I also had many friends, my ex-husband, and a brother-in-law that fought in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting stuff, Kathy. It is always important to remember our Veterans. I guess coming from a military family for two generations sometimes I don't think to thank them as often as I should. It is like it is just something that we do as a matter of course. I feel badly that I did not even mention Veteran's Day yesterday on my blog. :( But I am thankful for each man and woman out there defending our country and I am apppaled by what happened at Fort Hood.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Dad didn't change very much over the years. He said the same thing about joining the Navy - He would rather fight our country's enemies overseas than see them threaten his sister and mother in our country.

    That's neat, memories. My father rarely spoke of his years in the navy - until I married a navy man.

    It's interesting to note how many family and friends we all have, Marlene, who have served our country!

    I agree, Carole - it's important to pause and thank them for their service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. What a special time set aside to honor those who serve us. They deserve so much and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post Kathy, they did so much for their country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed - and the fight for freedom served all countries!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails