Sunday, November 29, 2009

Caught between the turkeys and the trees…

Do you feel like the Thanksgiving turkey and all the trimmings and the Christmas tree and, um…, all the trimmings crashed into each other?






I mean, here we are between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, all ready to zoom into Christmas and leave Thanksgiving as a blur behind us. Wouldn’t it be nice to carry the spirit of thankfulness into the Christmas season?

This week I was reminded of some very basic things that I should be thankful for – basic and yet profound.

  • I met a darling little two and a half year old adopted Chinese girl who at the age of three months was abandoned in a cardboard box on the street. I am thankful for the loving parents I had.
  • I have heard the saying ‘cryin’ friends’. There are a lot of people that we meet day to day with whom we can share our joy, but ‘cryin’ friends’ are the ones who share our deepest sorrows. I am blessed to have ‘cryin’ friends’.
  • I am a Christian. I went to church this morning and laughed with my friends, worshipped, sang hymns, stood outside the church and visited, and then drove home to enjoy the rest of my day. I live in a nation where I have the freedom to worship as I please. Not everyone does. http://www.persecution.net/
Well, there are three things that were brought to my mind this week - things that I am thankful for at Thanksgiving and every day of the year. What simple things are you thankful for today?

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
Great is Thy faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23


God bless,
Kathy

10 comments:

  1. It is nice to think of our gratitue list often and not just on Thanksgiving :) It's great that you are thankful for these wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminders Kathy :D I almost feel like I skipped over Thanksgiving I'm so focused on making Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Christmas last year was a perfect Christmas of remembrances, thankfulness, real meaning. I plan to repeat it this year. Simple gifts, given out of love not guilt and lots of food and fellowship with the people who are most important to me, PLUS charitable giving to those who have very little or nothing!

    So glad to see you're familiar with Persecution.com...a wonderful organization and more and more important with each passing day as our own freedoms are being stripped away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite hymns is "Count Your Blessings" - I have made a point to be thankful and count my blessings each and every day. We had a wonderful missionary present his field to us yesterday - he has been on the mission field in Nepal for almost five years - his stories are fascinating and really bring to mind how blessed we are to be able to hear and preach the Gospel without restraint - and thank you for the link to Persecution. We must remember that it is not us who is being persecuted, but Him!

    Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful post reminding us all to be thankful always! I'm a Christian too--thank you for the verses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and inspiring post, Kathy. A lot of meaning packed in here.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I love the painting! Too funny!

    Great post, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First - so sorry, I couldn't comment because I had a total computer crash - but, PTL!!! not a computer dump! *whew* Anyway - thank you all for your comments!

    Thank you, memories - and I agree!

    Rose - so easy for that to happen! I have to remind myself to stop quite often!

    Lovely, Graceful! For the most part, we make small handmade gifts and share meals and lots of visits. I agree, Persecution.com is great. They have prayer requests that they will email, also.

    Karin - I love that hymn =) The missionary sounds fascinating. I have friends who are missionaries in China (though right now they are involved in a project in the Phillipines). It is amazing to hear the stories of what it is really like in these countries. Persecution.com has tons of information on various countries.

    Thank you, Linda *waves* glad you stopped by =)

    Thanks, Carole =) I appreciate your comments.

    Thanks, Pam - that painting was really fun to do. roflol - the sermon at church gave me the idea for this blog post, so I sketched it on the bulletin. They love me at church =p and they put up with me, too! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your painting. Although, I wish all of our holiday's didn't all fall together so we could savor each one. January and febuary are so dismal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diva - Indeed - I am making it a point to stop and enjoy each day =) January has always been nice because I worked retail for almost 20 years. January is the *ahhhh* month where you can stop and catch your breath! LOL! February has my sister's birthday in it, so we celebrate that. hehe - it's the 17th if you want to 'cyber celebrate' with us *winks*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails