Sunday, October 25, 2009

Joni Eareckson Tada ~ an inspirational artist!

Joni Eareckson Tada is one of my inspirational heroes. She is an artist, speaker, author, singer, and the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Joni and Friends. Joni is an international advocate for people with disabilities. She knows what people with disabilities need because she has firsthand experience with disability.




In 1967, at the age of 17, Joni Eareckson dove into the water and broke her neck. Two years of rehabilitation gave her new skills and a desire to help others in similar situations. One of the new skills that she developed was to hold a brush in her mouth to paint. Check out her web page --- here --- to see images of her artwork. Her artwork is beautiful!

Her autobiography, “Joni” (both a book and a feature film) has been translated into many languages and she has visited more than 45 countries. She has written 46 books, won many awards, and reached out to disabled people worldwide in an amazing number of ways. Her latest book, “A Lifetime of Wisdom: Embracing the Way God Heals You” tells the “hard-won gems of wisdom” that she has learned in the more than fourty years that she has spent in a wheelchair.  Check out her fantastic books --- here ---
Joni and her husband Ken Tada were married in 1982.

Inspired?  I am both inspired and amazed!

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good
to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

If you would like to know more about Joni, check out her website at Joni and Friends.

Blessings,

Kathy

11 comments:

  1. She is a great inspiration to me, as well. I saw the movie, Joni, and have one of her devotionals, Pearls of Great Price. Highly recommend it! It is amazing how God turns tragedies into triumphs and how completely our lives can be altered for the good if we are obedient to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is amazing. I don't think we give thanks enough each day for our health. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, Graceful!

    Glad you liked hearing about her, Carole. Good point - we should give thanks regularly for all of our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder about Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not know of Joni, thank you for bringing her and her story to me.

    We aoften remind each other to count our blessings... even the ones we do not yet understand...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire her, she's a gusty woman! Makes me think twice before complaining about some little tidbit in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, memories =)

    Tulip's - she is amazing! I have known about her for many years and actually saw her speak once. *wow*

    Indeed, UberArt - sure does make me think twice before I complain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm blown away! Now that's talent! She's an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing isn't it! In the movie, "Joni", she plays herself and there's a great scene where she has her first art show. I love it - she wonders why they want to see her art. Then she asks "Do they know that I painted it with my mouth?" Just too funny the way she says it. Really a great movie - and they show a lot of the artwork that she had done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails