Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Edgar Allan Poe ~ Mixed media drawings on book pages

Playing with these old book pages has been a lot of fun.  The books were torn with pages falling out, so I didn't feel guilty at all about using them for some artwork.  I thought you might like to see a little 'work in progress' and find out how I do these small format artworks.

I have tried all kinds of pens ~ from Sharpies to Pitt, from Tombow to Micron ~ but when it comes to drawing, I like a dip pen and a really good, dense ink.  My current favorite ink is Holbein Drawing Ink and here are my favorite pens.  The one in the center is the one I usually use for drawing on these book pages.


Because the book paper is very soft, I use a fine point pen.  That keeps the ink from flowing onto the paper too fast and blurring the lines.  One reason that I like to use a dip pen is that I can vary the width of the line with one stroke.  A little more pressure gives you a little more ink ~ a very light stroke gives you very little ink.  You can see the variation in the line width in this drawing that is inked, but not colored.  Working with a sharp pen point and soft paper takes a bit of practice and control to keep it from catching on the paper and splattering ink everywhere.




Once I am satisfied with the drawing, I begin layering colored pencil.  I use a variety of colored pencils for this ~ mostly some old Prismacolor Pencils.  The older Prismacolors blend very nicely and it is easy to achieve subtle layers of color with them.  It's been fun to use some bright colors mixed with very soft colors in these drawings.  It helps to create the surreal feel that some of them have.

Here is "Angel" all finished and ready to be listed in my Etsy shop.



I like the way the irregular lines of the poetry show through the drawings. I think it gives these drawings a very dreamy look and a surreal quality.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this little tour of Edgar's ladies and how I create them.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of these little creations.  Thanks for dropping by!

Blessings,
Kathy

12 comments:

  1. I love seeing all your new work...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea - softening up the pages of Poe's dark work with beautiful drawings. I, too, love the way the words show through your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your artwork but the sketches on the book pages...powerful stuff! My favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your drawings are so unique and so wonderful! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new work, you are so creative and experimental with your art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. memories - thanks - glad you enjoy it!

    I agree, Magic - I have some other books that are on different subjects that I want to use for artwork, too. Hope I can find a horsey book sometime, too! lol!

    Thanks, VeryVerdant *big smile*

    Thanks, BeadedTail ~ this has been a fun series and I am hooked on doing more!

    Thanks, Pamela =) It is really fun to try new things and new media. I appreciate the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! It's always neat to see work in progress art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Pam! Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a lot of fun to see how you do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Rose! I'm glad to know that. I love to share tips and hints of how I create my artwork =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Carole - yeah, Edgar really fits right in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails