Sunday, October 18, 2009

Close your eyes and think a moment...

...about what it would be like to never see again.  No colors, no faces, no lights...  imagine what it would be like...



October is Art Beyond Sight Awareness Month and, one of the EtsyBloggers Street Team Carnivals for this month was to choose an October Awareness program and write about it - so, here is some information about Art Beyond Sight and blind artists.

Elisabeth Salzhauer Axel is the AEB Founder and Executive Director.  She started AEB in 1987 because her grandmother, a gifted artist and lifelong art lover began to lose her sight. As they continued to visit museums together, they were dismayed by the lack of accommodations and services for blind, visually impaired, and disabled people. Elisabeth knew that she had to do something about that.

Many people do not realize that there are blind people who are interested in art.  There are also many blind and visually impaired artists.  Check out these links - they speak for themselves ~

Lisa Fittipaldi and Esref Armagan are artists who are blind.

The Blind Artist's Society is an online group for artists with visual impairments.  There is a list of artists and a gallery where you can see artwork from a show last year.

If you can read what I have written, you are blessed.  In Luke, Jesus tells his disciples to assure John that they have seen miracles - including restoring sight to the blind.  He fulfilled the prophecy in Isaiah ~

In that day the deaf shall hear the words of a book,
and out of their gloom and darkness,
the eyes of the blind shall see.
Isaiah 29: 18

Jesus reached out to heal, bless and love those who were ill, lost and unloved.  We need to do the same.  Don't miss the opportunity to share the richness of your world, with someone who is blind, deaf, or disabled.  You will be enriched by the experience!

Blessings,
Kathy

16 comments:

  1. My Grandma gradually went blind when I was young. I'm the oldest grandchild and probably one of the only ones that remembers grandma being able to see. She is 93 now, still knits everyday - slippers, scarves etc for the grandchildren and great grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool post! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post and what a comforting and promising verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought that one of the first things that could happen would be go blind. It is amazing what these blind artists can do. Wow. Such a meaningful and important post. Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandma lost most of her sight to Macular Degeneration a couple of years before she passed - she continued to crochet beautiful afghans until she just could not do it any longer. I would take her books on tape because reading was her other passion. One of my dearest friends, Celeste, has been blind since birth - she is a voracious reader and has some amazing technology to enable her to read. She has introduced me to a whole new world through her "sight." She also has a beautiful Golden Retriever service dog, who was the one who introduced Celeste to me! When I volunteered at the New Mexico School for the visually handicapped I learned many ways to help those with limited or no sight appreciate the arts - it was an amazing journey. Kathy - do you remember how in awe we were of Gail during our HS years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew, thank you for sharing and for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome, Tulip's =)

    Karin - I do remember Gail! I ran into her in the grocery store many years ago - and she was just as independent then as when we were in school. I think it's incredible how those whose eyes do not function can sometimes see with greater clarity!

    I was amazed, too, Carole. I admit that I did expect more abstract art - the repersentational and portrait art fascinates me!

    Thank you, Very Verdant =) I love the passages that show the healing of our Lord =) He heals in so many different ways!

    Thanks ;-) and you are welcome, memories!

    Audrey - that is too cool! I have heard of a lot of people like yours and Karin's grandmas who crocheted and knitted after they went blind. I think it is a good reminder to us all not to give up when the 'going gets tough'.

    So glad you all enjoyed this post =) Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,

    Wow I had never really thought about someone being able to make art if they were blind, what a talent they have! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am truly humbled and need to quit complaining about whatever it is that I might find to complain about.
    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. Thank you for reminding us to cherish what we have, and to share that with others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WindandHoney ~ that is just the way that I feel. Things likt this really help me to keep my perspective!

    Brenda Lynn ~ You are welcome! I agree that sharing with others is so important ~ especially the simple things that we so take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found this blog entry, thanks to a student of mine. I am an artist and a painting teacher for adults, and one of my students went blind after an accident in surgery. She was a talented artist, a docent at our museum, took every art class offered. We were horrified to hear of her plight. But guess what? She is back taking two of my painting classes, and we are constantly trying to devise ways for her to "see" what she has drawn or painted. She is also going to do a piece for an upcoming student show I am curating. We all are in awe of her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely awesome! Thanks so much for sharing =) What an inspiration!!! Where do you teach? Do you think that she would like to share her experiences to encourage others not to give up? I would be delighted to blog about you as the teacher and she as the student if you would both like to do that. If not I completely understand. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GiniGL - Wow what an amazing thing, it's great that she is still able to paint! I am sure it brings her a lot of joy!

    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails