Lovely photo, by the way, isn't it?! Ummm... but, well... stay tuned... more about that later...
- My daughter can make me choke when she says something funny.
- I can make her cry! No kidding... she asked me a question and I answered it. Simple, right? She was gasping and her tears were making it hard for her to drive (in rush hour on a bridge, I might add!). Oh, yeah - um - and she was hysterical because she was laughing. It took a while for her to explain... (it kind of took her voice away, too.) Her question was: "So, when you 'toe the line' which toe is it?" My immediate answer was: "The big toe on my right foot."
Okay, so I didn't know that what she wanted to know was whether it was "toe the line" or "tow the line". Interesting cause for hysteria, but I figure that since she made me choke twice on our vacation it was justifiable payback. Even if it was accidental hysteria.
- Leaving on a long drive at 5:00 PM is not bright. Well, unless you intended to drive all night on purpose...
- The Beach Boys still sound great when you are driving next to the ocean! "Oh, yeah, baby, in a mini-van!" in the words of my now recovered daughter ;-)
- Scenic drives look better during the day. Except that a full moon can be pretty, too - but you can't see a lot of the scenic scenery... um... just the moonlight. Well, and sometimes the moonlight through the trees... (see photo above - no clue where we were, though... *laughs* it was dark!)
- CA Highway 1 is very long and twisty. Looooonnnnnggggg.... and with LOTS of curves.... and no roads (that we could see) that led to the straight and wide Highway 5 that was just a few miles away.
- Anybody out there get carsick? Um... three out of the four passengers in this vehicle suffer from some degree of carpuke... yep... Did I mention that the road had a lot of curves... Ummm... not a good combo!
- Much to our surprise, my daughter and I discovered that a child who is sound asleep can unload lunch and (I am sure) breakfast before waking up. Now that is some major carsickness. *sheesh*
- Amazingly- a chain reaction can be avoided. Granddaughter number one and I evacuated the scene and left Mama to - well, you get the picture! I recommend evacuation. Yep.
- Summer nights in California can be very cold, but fresh air can also be very nice... under certain circumstances it is better to freeze!
- Moonlight also makes trees, roads, and slow traffic look spooky and makes imaginations run wild. When the lone, slow, creeping driver in front of you is obviously lost, swerving and playing with their high and low beams, it makes them look spooky, lost, OCD - and a few other things! (Yes, the car finally did turn off the road... *whew* but it added about an hour to our driving time.)
- Never mix your bad coffees together. Even if you are the only one in the car that doesn't get carsick. *bleack*
- Having paid for the hotel room in advance, gotten a great deal on a classy place, and wanting a nice comfy bed to sleep in will make you drive and drive and drive and drive and...
- A book light is handy for reading maps but a finger is not a good measuring device for mileage. At least, mine isn't. Maybe it grows and shrinks like Pinocchio's nose... Maybe it was the midnight math skills... *rolls eyes* who knows...
- Computers are an addiction. So are digital cameras and cell phones. Why else would I make my daughter carry my laptop and granddaughter number one, while I carried my purse (with camera and cell phone) and granddaughter number two. And, before climbing into bed, I plugged in cell phone and camera battery. It's an addiction! (Side note: that was ALL we took to the room - kids, purses, and a laptop... nada on the luggage, food, clothes, etc. Yeah, maybe obsession is closer!)
- "Would you like an extended checkout?" can be magical words.
- The room and the bed were worth it!
Travel the straight and easy road to Allie's blog for your next stop on the Blog to Blog Terrific Trees Treasure Hunt Highway.
Visit Allie's delightful blog here: http://www.allieart4children.blogspot.com/and then stop by Allie's wonderful etsy shop here: http://www.allieart4children.etsy.com/
Not sure how to play the Treasure Hunt? Check out the RULES and have some fun! Your comment must be posted by midnight EST Friday (today) August 7, 2009 in order to be entered in the drawing for a free ACEO!
PS - Here is a complete list of all of the blogs on the Blog to Blog Terrific Trees Treasure Hunt - if you missed one, dash over there and post a comment by midnight EST Friday (today!) Have fun =)
Kathy (me) ~ http://tapestry316.blogspot.com/
Allie ~ http://www.allieart4children.blogspot.com/
Pam ~ http://alwaysartistic.blogspot.com/
Carole ~ http://readingsully2.blogspot.com/
Marlene ~ http://marlenes-musings.blogspot.com/