Sunday, August 30, 2009

In the hands of a master...

Last Friday night at the Art Walk I had the opportunity to see a demonstration of pastel painting by Robert Knudson at The Art Store in Prescott. What a fantastic experience that was! I really enjoyed watching his technique. Brilliant color laid down in bold strokes became a subtle undertone for the entire painting as he blended it all together. Layer upon layer of pastel were added in an impressionistic manner until the suggestion of the substance of the painting was there. From a distance, it looks solid - up close, the soft, impressionistic strokes are very apparent.


I have been a fan of Robert's artwork for many years and I have really enjoyed the times when we have had a chance to visit at the shop. This was, however, the first time that I had a chance to watch him create a pastel. As he worked on his painting, he chatted about what he was doing, gave suggestions for color and composition, and answered questions from those of us who were watching. Meanwhile, my eyes were focused on the hands of a master artist as I watched his pastel painting unfold before my eyes.

Pastels in my hands will produce a scribble (trust me in this one!). Pastels in Robert Knudson's hands produce a masterpiece. I could not help but think of the song about the violin that was to be sold at auction. It was thought to be worthless until a master musician played it. At that point, it became priceless. The violin did not change, but the master did.

But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay,
and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.
Isaiah 64:8
Let the Master lead and have a blessed and creative day!
Kathy

8 comments:

  1. What an experience to watch another talented artist work. Beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frowm what I can see of the picture, he is a master.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience that I'm sure you learned alot from. Thank you for sharing it with us. I've always been facinated by hands as well. He sounds like a brilliant man! You must of felt wonderful being around his talent.
    *HUGS*
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam - his a friend, too - a double blessing for me!

    Marlene - he has 45 or 46 years of experience as a professional artist *whew* Amazing!

    Carole - it was!

    Angela - it was a wonderful experience! I learned so much and in such a short amount of time. I hope he does a workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um.. nice type *rolls eyes* That should read 'he is a friend' - chalk another one up for late night blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The joy in his face is transmitted to his pieces of art. I loved this piece, just wish I could have walked along with you. Bless you for sharing. Brought back memories of my Dad creating in the Art Center .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So vey true! His art still shines through all of his artwork!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails