Monday, August 31, 2009

Diesel, a work in progress - finished!

Isn't he cute! This is Leah's beloved little Diesel. I thought you would like to compare my painting to one of the photographs that she sent me.


The eyes are the window to the soul - or so it has been said. I know when I am doing a painting, the eyes are crucial to its success.





You may notice that in my painting, Diesel's eyes are two different colors. Um... yeah - and two different shapes... and, um... yeah - it definitely doesn't look like the photograph! Ahem. That is why 'they' call it 'a work in progress!' I will refrain from telling you how many times I repainted the eyes *laughs* Needless to say, it was several more than once.


Part of the repainting was due to that silly little wax episode that I told you about before - in A Little Hint - Diesel, a work in progress! Between trying to paint over and around that wax and getting the shape just right... well, like I said ~ go buy a new sheet of graphite transfer paper and save yourself that little bit of grief!

Ah... that is better! Now he looks more like Diesel *smiles* So, on to the background...

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the background and I actually did change it. Originally I thought that it would be fun to have leaves all around him like he was in the bushes. After I got it all done, it was WAY to busy.


So, here is another hint for you! Do a detailed finished sketch of the background - the same way that you would do a finished sketch for the portrait. That way you can make sure that there are no competing elements in your artwork.


Or am I the only one who gets so excited to start a painting, that I don't have a lot of details sketched in the background? Please! Someone out there tell me you have done that too!

At any rate, here is little Diesel with the background that I changed my mind on, the eyes that I fixed, and the final touches that always make such a difference. Most of the painting is transparent watercolor, but I did use a few touches of white gouache at the very end of the painting process.

The gouache is what puts that little sparkle in his eyes.
And that, as they say, is 'the rest of the story'! I hope you enjoyed this little tour through my painting process.
Have a blessed day!
Kathy
PS If you would like to see work in progress blog posts about "Talk to the Tail", a painting of Billie Jane, type in Billie Jane in the search box (on the left side of the blogger tool bar) for my blog and all the posts about her should come up.

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! Keep up the wonderful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pam and Carole =) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Kathy! I'm sure Leah will love it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anastasia =) It's in the mail on the way to her now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails