Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wonderful Water Blog to Blog Treasure Hunt - some water fun - inside!

I LOVE water soluable graphite! My latest *passion* is the Derwent Graphitint and the Cretacolor GraphitAquarell pencils. I thought it would be fun to share a little bit about them during our Wonderful Water Treasure Hunt =) So, here is a little "inside" water!

This is a drawing that I did with the Derwent pencils.These pencils come in a nice range of colors. In order to get the look that I wanted, I sketched the horse and then I used a brush wet with plain water to lightly blend most of the areas. The background wash was made by running a wet brush over the pencil and then applying the color to the paper. The very dark areas under the chin and on the ear were made by dipping the pencil in water and drawing with the wet lead on the paper.
There is quite a bit of difference in the color between the wet and the dry areas of the pencil lines. Check this out!
The Cretacolor pencils work in much the same way. They come in several graphite densities. Here's a little sample of the HB, 4B and the 8B. There are lots of other ones.
The main difference between these two types pencils and traditional watercolor pencils is that these pencils have the texture of a graphite pencil rather than a colored pencil. Since I like to sketch with pencil a lot, I really enjoy having that texture combined with the waterbased lead.

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of water fun! Your next stop on the Wonderful Water Treasure Hunt is Allie ~Visit Allie's delightful blog here: http://www.allieart4children.blogspot.com/
and then stop by Allie's wonderful etsy shop =)
Happy treasure hunting!
God bless,
Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful drawing, thanks for explaining the pencils, so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love Derwent pencils Kathy. This Horse head study is so beautiful. Lindax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Allie - glad you like it!

    Thanks, Pam - I really like these pencils. They are really fun!

    Thanks, Linda - I appreciate the compliment! I love the Derwent watercolor pencils, also =) I love to mix all my water soluable media together!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts with Thumbnails