Monday, June 22, 2009

Beautiful Flower Treasure Hunt - What in the world is this????

Isn't this flower gorgeous! It's really big, too - probably almost 4 inches in diameter (about 10 cm). I have no idea what it is called, but I do know a few things about it...

If you want to take this flower home to do a painting of it, it is nearly impossible. First, it has a stalk - not a stem. No, make that a tree. Bring a saw, not a pocket knife! And then - watch out for those stickers. No - watch out for the spikes! Those babies are HUGE and sharp.
If you do manage to get that flower separated from the plant, watch out for the nasty, sticky yellow sap that is probably toxic. (Oh, great *rolls eyes*). The last thing you will have to do is run home fast enough to make time go backwards (you know - create a time warp!) because this flower wilts as soon as it is severed from its stem (ah - trunk!).
So, now you know why I took photographs of it... from a distance. Oh, yeah. I forgot to let you know - it smells bad, too. Bad!
But it is REALLY pretty, don't you think?
Okay - I am sure that Allie has something sweet for you at her blog, which is your next stop along the Flower Treasure Hunt!

Visit Allie's delightful blog here: http://www.allieart4children.blogspot.com/

and then stop by Allie's wonderful etsy shop here: http://www.allieart4children.etsy.com/
If you need a refresher on the Blog to Blog Treasure Hunt rules, check this post!
God bless and have fun on your Flower Treasure Hunt!
Kathy

10 comments:

  1. LOL Kathy, too funny! I have no idea what it is, but your right it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am glad that I only have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Kathy, It is beautiful hope you find out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Kathy... Is it some kind fo cactus?

    My flowers are finally up. Mine did not post as scheduled. I am very upset but have figured out that I need to post them a minute apart for it to work. Only rules went up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hysterical!! Note to self: If you ever run across a flower that looks like this, admire it from a safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a combination of deterrents! Generally flowers that smell bad are to attract pollinators that like um, dead things. Isn't our desert Southwest a fascinating place?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame that you can't cut one and enjoy the flower at home. It is a beautiful flower and SO big! Your description is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you all enjoyed this very pretty flower. They are blooming all over up here right now =) And I am enjoying them - LOL - from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy! You are too funny! your description made me smile! It is such a pretty flower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Allie ~ I did find some more information about this flower - so I will be posting about it again! Definitely one of the most interesting flowers I have come across!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts with Thumbnails