Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beautiful Flower Treasure Hunt - Search diligently...

and thou shalt find, Kathleen.


My mom said that to me a lot - and she used the King's James English when she said it, too! There is a lot of truth in those words, though.

Remember this lovely flower?


Well, in case you missed my tales about it, check out this post!

Russ and his wife, Denise, were hiking and he photographed the same flower within days of when I took my photograph. (Check out Russell's artwork here - he is really talented!) We both wanted to know what this flower was, so we searched and searched... And at last, we found the answer. Russ located the name *drum roll please!!!*

ARGEMONE PLEIACANTHA or Pricklypoppy or Prickly Poppy

Well, it definitely lives up to it's name! I found out that it is also a very interesting plant.
  • The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service had quite a bit to say about it. There is some general information here.
  • Take a look at its HUGE seeds here. With those seeds, I am surprised that it doesn't grow to twice its size!
  • There is also conservation information, growth habbits, size, etc., about this plant here. I was surprised to find out that this plant has a root that is 16 inches (40 cm) deep! It is also on the endagered list *sigh*
And, I was delighted to find out that it is not toxic! Of course, since I tried to cut one and paint it last year, I sort of had that one figured out... unless it takes a long time... ah... *shakes head *laughs* and refuses to think about that!*

Anyway, I thought you all would like to know what this beautiful flower is called and to find out how interesting it really is.


If your are following our Blog to Blog Beautiful Flower Treasure Hunt (which you should do because it is not only fun, but it is - well - beautiful!) then your next stop is Allie's blog =)


Visit Allie's delightful blog here: http://www.allieart4children.blogspot.com/


and then stop by Allie's wonderful etsy shop here:

http://www.allieart4children.etsy.com/

Have fun! Hope you are enjoying all the great flowers and that you are taking some time to visit all the wonderful etsy shops along the way.


Have a great day ~ blessings!
Kathy

6 comments:

  1. I left a comment here...LOL Anyway this one is gorgeous and I asked if it was a cactus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized this was a recap. Very well done....a prickly poppy. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, thanks for the follow up on this flower - it is truly amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy - LOL I'm glad it's not toxic either as I like having you around!

    Wow what an interesting flower, and quite rare to be only found in 2 states, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone =) I wonder if it used to be in more states. One of it's generic names is Cowboy's Fried Egg. It does resemble that, but I don't recommend you try to eat it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The prickly poppy is one of my favorite local wildflowers -- every time I see one, I want to make one more photograph of it!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts with Thumbnails