Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How I do what I do....

This is the first post in a series of posts that will take you through my studio as I create a painting. Hope you find it fun and I hope that I may be able to pass on a hint or two that will help you in your studio!

This is my very messy palette - all full of paint from several paintings. I never wipe it clean, I just keep using the paint that is there. Since I quite often am using the same group of colors, I don't have a problem doing that. The only problem is... what exactly is that color????



When it comes time to refill an empty spot it is really hard to know exactly which color I put in there the first time. Admittedly, I love to try new colors or new brands, so sometimes the same - or very similar - color will be in two wells right next to each other.

Watercolor paint has different levels of transparency and opacity as well as different qualities from brand to brand. I came up with this way to give myself all of the information I need to know what brand, color, and transparency each color has.



I have created a small watercolor notebook that is devoted to information and color charts about the paint that I use. I use a black sharpie to write the name and brand of the paint on the paper in a chart that I have made. The chart is like a map of my palette where each color will be painted in the same location as it appears on my palette. After I have done that, I paint a good sized area that goes over the chart and covers the words of the color.




Now I can see at a glance what brand, color, how transparent, and whether I am comparing it to a previous color that I have used.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that little tour of my palette. I will be starting a painting soon and I will share more of my painting process during the creation of my next piece of art. So, as they say, "stay tuned"!

God bless,
Kathy

10 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea; I've been puzzling about how to have a visual of similar information for my acrylics. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I may add a page in the watercolor book for my acrylic colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so organized! Wish I could paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha =) I had to organize my paint because I kept loosing which color I needed! Now, if I could just get the paper all organized....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that is gorgeous... So beautiful and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem too, and did a little chart, yours is beautiful like a piece of art in itself.Lindax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice article. I love Watercolors.
    Carolyn (Cabo Designs)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - I appreciate all of your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails